For those who can cook, the kitchen is one of the most exciting areas of the house to be in. For those who can’t cook, the kitchen should still represent a functional space that helps you relax with a strong cup of coffee and a good book.
If you are building from scratch, you want to build a kitchen that meets all your requirements, or if are renovating you need to create a space that works for the existing infrastructure. No matter if you are starting from scratch or rebooting, all you really want to do is build a kick-butt kitchen.
The same rules apply whether you are the soccer mum or a celebrity. So let’s look at 10 of the best celebrity kitchens, which will hopefully inspire you when you build your own.
So in no particular order of merit…
1. Courtney Cox. Here’s a little known fact: Before the former Friends and Cougar Town star wanted to be an actress, she was considering architecture. So when she approached the redesign of her home, she knew exactly what she was doing. Cox has gone for a modern vintage look, which blends nicely. Countertops are by Caesar-Stone, ovens and a refrigerator are by Gaggenau and the stainless-steel sinks are by Franke. The light fixture is from Nessen Lighting, and the barstools are vintage.
2. Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi’s kitchen is all class. This Santa Monica Ranch features an Italian industrial light fixture that hangs above an antique bluestone table and 19th-century American Windsor chairs; an Ib Kofod-Larsen armchair and a mid-century Danish lounge chair in its original leather are placed near the fireplace. If that’s not enough, their Mailbu home is even more spectacular. It’s a contemporary kitchen mixed with old beams and stone walls that reflect the Italiante villa. Stunning.
3. Brad Pitt. This is the ultimate man kitchen. A glass bar, walk-in refrigerator and freezer, table overlooking the sea to help you ease the beer and wine down the gullet. And there would have to be a barbecue to match the stainless steel countertops and top-of-the-line appliances. This is a mid-century Malibu marvel, made even better by the bamboo flooring and glass-garage-style-door that opens to connect the kitchen with the home’s elite bluff-top-setting.
4. Bruce Willis. Once the king of action films, now the man who’ll do anything. But it doesn’t matter – we still love Bruce for Die Hard (except the last one). The Die Hard star has one hell of a kitchen in his resort-like retreat in Hailey, Idaho. It’s a fully loaded kitchen that features Traulsen and Sub-Zero refrigerators, two dishwashers, a wine cooler and Viking six-burner stove with dual ovens. We like that Bruce has a Viking appliance, it’s fitting. It also features under-counter lighting, elegant wood cabinetry and rich stone countertops that add rustic elegance to this well-stocked space.
5. Jerry Seinfeld. The kitchen did not come with George Costanza, which is a blessing because this kitchen is another in the rustic, yet high-end category and George’s whining wouldn’t fit. It pairs rustic wood floors and ceiling beams with high-end appliances and glass-front cabinets. The centre island is large and offers an extra sink for food preparation and also features seating for casual meals.
6. Hilary Swank. This kitchen is almost as you’d expect from the very private, no frills Oscar winner. It has all the best appliances including dining table and chairs by Calvin Klein Home and floor lamp by West Elm; the kitchen is also outfitted with quartz countertops, sink fittings by Kohler and a Viking cooktop. It is a simple kitchen, which is sometimes the best
7. Taylor Swift. Sparse, elegant and almost as blonde and down home as she is. It has been described as casually elegant kitchen and features a marble backsplash, stainless steel appliances and a central island with a butcher-block countertop. It is very open and inviting.
8. Ralph Lauren. Everything is so … white. I don’t know if you’d want to make a mess or not. However, it is a popular look. As you’d expect from Lauren, everything is the best including ovens and a cooktop by Wolf, a custom-made vent hood, and cabinetry of white lacquer and stainless steel; the island is sheathed in Celador, and the Bertoia barstools are by Knoll.
9. Neil Patrick Harris. Where Ralph Lauren’s kitchen may come across as cold, this is as warm as they come. There are more Viking appliances – which seem to be celebrity choice – along with granite countertops, custom wood cabinetry and a large centre island with a prep sink and a breakfast bar. There is a wine bar and cooler for entertaining, which Harris is very good at, and a very smart menu-planning centre that overlooks a brick patio.
10. Katy Perry. You’d half expect something that roars; something jungle-like, but this is very feminine. There is a great deal of light, a lot of white and a very homely atmosphere. The gourmet kitchen features luxurious marble countertops, crisp white cabinets and dual ovens. An island with a cooktop, built-in wine storage and additional seating round it out.
So if you are considering renovating your kitchen, take a look at the inspirational designs above. Do you want rustic, stark, homely or modern. There are myriad choices, but always something to suit your needs.